Saturday, 17 May 2014

THE ROCKS



Good day friends,I saw this inspiring article and i though should share it enjoy.                                                         When I was fourteen I was fortunate enough to be introduced to backpacking. While I was in the Boy Scouts, we made a trip to Isle Royal, a 50 mile long national park island in the middle of Lake Superior. This remains one of my fondest memories. Crossing beaver dams and eating lunch while dangling our feet off a ledge, looking down on the trees far below us. I’ve had a few other opportunities to hike other national parks since then and have always enjoyed the experience.
Before my sons were even born I began planning our back packing trips together. I had always planned to return to Isle Royal when they became old enough to enjoy it. This was now the year.
I bought all new gear and put the plans in place. My oldest son, now 14, and I put the plans together. We did an easy 3 day warm up trip on North Manitou Island in Lake Michigan to test the gear and to see how things would work.
Isle Royal remains as I remembered it 26 years earlier. Rugged and beautiful. In spite of the rain, blisters and a sore knee, there is no possible way to be there and now enjoy the peace of it as contrasted against my normal busy life. There are no cars, no pagers and cell phones do not work there. After carrying 60 pounds of gear for 10 miles, each and every freeze-dried meal suddenly becomes the best meal you can remember having.
There were moose with us. The island has more than 900 of them there. I scared one up from its’ sleep late one night as I walked the short path to the outhouse. Separated by about 10 yards, you feel quite small in comparison to the size of these animals. But this cow jumped and ran several yards away. I’m convinced that at that moment, as she turned around and starred at me, she was just as frightened as I was.
Other animals weren’t so timid. We had had a fairly long hike one day and had finally come to a fork in the trail we were looking for. I pulled out the map to verify where we were when my son calmly pointed out that there was a fox here. I looked and saw the fox only about three feet away looking up at us like a lost dog. Instantly, thoughts of having to go in for a series of rabies shots rushed through my head. I had never had an animal of this size just walk up to me before. We backed up to put some distance between us. There, he blocked the path we needed to take. I yelled at it to try and get it to leave but it was beyond intimidation by a mere man. Finally it began to circle us some and opened the path we needed. We slipped through. I’m sure that at some time someone chose to feed it and it was just looking for a handout again. At the end of our 6 day hike I asked a ranger we met and found 

 TO BE CONTINUED TOMORROW

 culled from fatsheep.org



Thank you very much for reading this article.Pls kindly you can comment below.
You can also reach me via;
+2348182130408, +2348027633203 -phone
+2348182130408, +2348027633203 -whatsapp
Oyebanji kayode -Facebook
7B7FFDC9 -BBM                     


No comments:

Post a Comment